To add a new calculated metric:
- Click the "Add Metric" button
- Enter the name for the new metric - a good name is short and succinct
- Click the "Create Metric" button
- If required, enter a longer description for the new metric - this will be displayed as a tool-tip when the metric is shown in reports
- Change the "Source" to be "Calculated"
- Enter the required formula for this metric. To reference a metric from your library, type "$" and then select the name of the metric (see Advanced Formulas below).
- Adjust any other settings as required - e.g. "Format & Display"
- Click the "Update Metric" button
The value for this metric will be calculated and displayed automatically.
Repeat these steps for each of the calculated metrics that you want on your report.
As you add metrics they will be automatically added to your “Metrics Library” so they can also be included in other reports when needed.
To reference a metric from your library, type "$" and then select the name of the metric.
When selected correctly the metric name is highlighted in yellow:
You can also use functions in your formula:
The available functions are:
- AVERAGE([metric], [months])
- SUM([metric], [months])
- MAX([metric], [months])
- MIN([metric], [months])
In each of these cases the period includes the current month
- PREVIOUS([metric]) = the value of [metric] from last month
- PREVIOUS([metric], [delta]) = the value of [metric] from [delta] months ago
- AVERAGE($Sales, 12) = the average sales per month from the last year
- MAX($ARPU, 3) = the maximum ARPU from the last quarter
- PREVIOUS($Customers) = the number of customers last month
- PREVIOUS($Expenses, 12) = the value of expenses 12 months ago